Re: SHPX 161, a two compartment tank car

Bruce A. Metcalf

On 5/30/20 11:09 AM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:

Nice image of SHPX 161, a two compartment tank car.
I suspect this car may have been built originally as a three compartment car, based simply on the location of the two domes. Can anyone confirm (or deny) this to be the case?
https://digital.library.temple.edu/digital/collection/p15037coll3/id/67177
No proof from me, but if you look at the two rows of rivets just to the right of the left dome -- these are the only rivet strips on the side. These suggest to me that the double bulkhead is there, dividing the tank into only two compartments.

Could be wrong though....

Cheers,
/ Bruce /