Re: What is This Tank Body?

Todd Sullivan

Hi Tom,

I think this tank car body is from an insulated pressure tank car.  The 'dome' is pretty small for a tank of this size, and pressure cars (Athearn 'chemical' tank car and offerings by Atlas and Kadee as 11,000 gallon cars) have small domes.  The stepped appearance of the exterior of the tank makes it look like a radial course shell, but insulated pressure cars had the same appearance due to the jacketing that was over the insulation. The third reason I think it is an ICC 105 (insulated pressure car) is that the diameter is larger than most 10,000 gallon uninsulated cars, and certainly larger than smaller sizes of uninsulated cars.

Todd Sullivan.