Re: Tangent GATC 8,000 Gallon 1917-Design Radial Course Tank Car

Steve and Barb Hile

In 1920, UTLX purchased 1000 tank cars from General American to the GATC 1917 design, which is the Tangent car.  Originally, these cars were numbered 70000 – 70999 as the beginning of the 7xxxx series of car numbers representing the Class Z (non UTLX design) cars.  Fairly soon the cars were renumbered to 71000 and above to allow the 70xxx series to be used for 10000 gallon cars.  Other commercially built cars from Standard Tank Car Company and Pennsylvania Tank Car Company were also inserted in 7xxxx series.  From the late 1920’s through the 1930’s (and beyond) both UTLX and GATC acquired the fleets of smaller oil tank cars and assimilated them into their fleets.  For UTLX this included cars built by both ACF and GATC into the 7xxxx and other series, based on capacity and internal heaters, etc.

I hope that this is helpful.  There is a much more in the UTLX book published by Speedwitch, including lots of photographs!.  (Shameless plug.)

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Hemphill via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2020 11:46 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tangent GATC 8,000 Gallon 1917-Design Radial Course Tank Car

Steve Hile:  I apologize for my ignorance about tank cars. I'm not following where the recently re-released Tangent GATC car fits in the summary UTLX roster you posted above. Could you advise, please.

Mark Hemphill

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.