Re: Tangent GATC 8,000 Gallon 1917-Design Radial Course Tank Car

Tim O'Connor

Bill just save the bolster/saddle and center sill and scratch build the rest of the frame. :-D
Once you start to remove the cast running boards, that's all you'll be left with. :-)
Surely not difficult for someone with your skills.

I did use Plano parts for the old Roundhouse modern tank car - which lacks a stub sill
entirely! But it was possible to scratch a replacement from Evergreen styrene parts.

On 5/31/2020 1:59 PM, Bill Welch wrote:
I have to admit whenever I see a comment like ". . . it's pretty much an exact match to the Red Caboose model if you replace the running boards with open-grid steel. Plano makes an etched metal set for the model." tossed out I laugh to myself and also wench. I have two RC kids and two of the Plano etched running boards. They are on a shelf at eye level I walk by too many time a day to count and occasionally I will pause, open one of the RC boxes and look at the frame with the molded on running board for a few moments, say to myself "Not today" and put it back on the shelf. I just did it again just now. This is not minot model surgery in my opinion. I would love to know it anyone has ever done this surgery and would love even more to see their results.

Bill Welch

Sterling, Massachusetts