From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2020 1:45 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tangent GATC 8,000 Gallon 1917-Design Radial Course Tank Car

Tim,

The teeth gnashing about this car was over all the fake-o roadnames RC and IM have issued it in. The list of prototypes for this car was very slim, according to Richard Hendrickson, and some of those he cited had surrounding dome platforms. I have built one (GATX, which is spurious--must repaint someday), and think it is a very nice model.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 1:07 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:
Garth

I don't know about any lamentations... but it's pretty much an exact match to the Red Caboose model
if you replace the running boards with open-grid steel. Plano makes an etched metal set for the model.

The US Army (DOD) and UTLX were the largest buyers for the cars represented by the model. Perhaps
people lament inaccurate paint schemes, but then they'd be lamenting most of what is out there in hobbyland.

I think Red Caboose offered both Army and UTLX paint schemes. I know I sent pictures to Bill.

On 5/31/2020 5:54 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Steve,

Nice list, but you forgot that UTLX bought 500 welded ACF 10K cars in 1951, their series 39000-39499. Richard Hendrickson
identified the often-lamented Red Caboose model as a suitable representation of these cars.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Sterling, Massachusetts