Re: C&O Bunk Cars and Jordan Spreader

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tony,

In a word "no". That would have required going onto railroad property. Even back in the 1980s, the Chessie System and the Southern was really tight about trespassing, and they were prosecuting for it, especially around Charlottesville where UVA students had dozens of shortcuts across Chessie and Southern tracks. Around that time they got a really strict railroad trespass law passed by the General Assembly. I stayed on public property or asked permission. (Just as the Charlottesville yard was being downsized, I got permission to walk the now largely empty tracks to shoot every crane, rack and structure that was still standing. I suspect now that the person who gave me permission could have been fired.)

Even had I tried, the lack of a fill flash would have made for some pretty poor photos on the shadow side.

Yours Aye,

Garth  🦆

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 7:04 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
    Thanks for these, Garth. The bunk cars are really interesting, and your shots are very clear and definitive. Did you by any chance see the opposite sides? were they the same?

Tony Thompson