Re: Are these cars being loaded with sawdust?

Richard Townsend

The SpruceGoose is at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, Oregon. It is in excellent shape and on public display in this excellent museum.

On Jun 3, 2020, at 7:37 AM, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

    The US Army had a number of sources for the quality of spruce needed for the Spads and other planes built
for use in The Great War. To my knowledge all were sold in the 1920's but I don't know about the various forest
reserves. Lots of spruce and other commodities were moved by rail to the various aircraft assembly plants during
WW I. The Stearman, later Boeing, PT-17 biplane trainer also used a lot of spruce. The fuselage frame is
largely of tubular metal construction but the wings are another story, being largely fabric covered spruce that
are constructed like a Guillow's model airplanes and then, like the paper covering of the models, is coated with
dope. Neat aircraft, The molder for the NERS #250 A/C Duct kit, which is a tricky mold to run, has two of the
them nearby and I never turn down an offer for a flight. There are usually a number of them at the Mid-Atlantic
Air Show in Reading, PA that was supposed to have been this weekend but has tentatively been rescheduled
for 31 July and 1 & 2 August where rides can be purchased.

    Where is Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose" now? That thing needs to be reconditioned and flown to Dulles for
permanent display at the Smithsonian Aircraft Museum there.  The museum is well worth a visit for anyone
with a modicum of interest in older aircraft especially with no admission charge.

My best, Don Valentine