Can Companies [was 50' box cars, car assignments, and WWII]

Howard R. Garner <hrgarner@...>

Message: 8
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 12:36:20 -0400
From: "Jack Wyatt" <cjwyatt@...>
Subject: Re: 50' box cars, car assignments, and WWII
Thanks Clark for that bit of information. I assume you are talking about
late steam era. That raises the question of where were the can manufacturers
located? I would guess they were spread over the food producing areas of the
country because it would be cheaper to transport tinplate than cans. Did the
West coast have a lot of can manufacturers with all of the agricultural
producing areas and Pacific fisheries?
Jack Wyatt
From a 1951 50th anniversary booklet from American Can Company.

56 can manufacturing facilities. From Tampa FL, to Vancouver, BC.
A few others were Waterloo, IA, St. Paul, MN, Seattle, WA, Portland OR, 9 in CA and 3 in HI. Anyone wanting further info, just ask.

Howard