reefer spotted there has PFE reporting marks

Andy Carlson

Another thing to consider--this was not an originating meat packing house, rather it looks to be an end destination wholesaler. I could see the company offering items which are not meat related, such as select produce and other non-meat items being offered to their local clientele of meat shops and grocers.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

   Yes, but two points: first, this photo is years before those cars, and the car, PFE 9092, was just a plain reefer.
    I was once told that a significant traffic category for meat packers was lard, and that might move in regular reefers (serving as insulated box cars).

Tony Thompson