Re: a mystery use of at least one (possibly more) PFE reefer / Crown Flour Mill


Todd Sullivan
 

Here are two aerial photos from the Vintage Portland website showing the Union Station yards and industries.  One was taken from the southeast during the 1948 flood, and the second was taken in 1954 from the northwest.  You can see both Crown and Albers clearly in the second photo.  In the first, Albers is behind the Broadway Bridge which crosses over the station tracks and Depot Yard, and Crown is further away.  The low buildings between Albers and Crown were part of Portland's Terminal Docks, and one of them served as a paper warehouse, Waterways Terminals, for two paper plants - one up the Willamette in Oregon City and the other in Camas, WA.  The paper was barged from the plants to the warehouse.  By 1960,  Waterways had build a huge warehouse opposite Guild Lake Yard.  NPTCo pulled about 75 loads of paper a day out of it M-F and about 50 loads on Saturday.  It was such a large source of revenue that we alternated switching rights with the SP&S annually.

Todd Sullivan

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.