Re: C&O Bunk Cars and Jordan Spreader

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tim,

An interesting selection of cars. Did you notice that in the photo the troop sleepers that the entrance steps are arranged between the cars, rather than via the central door? Love that Vanderbilt tender.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 12:08 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Here are some 'random' C&O MofW shots my Dad took. Scanned many years ago from 3x5 prints...

On 6/2/2020 6:44 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Friends,

Today, I am finishing up presenting photos of C&O MW house cars. This isn't all that I have, but what's left are essentially duplicates of what you've already seen. I have a few C&O open cars, Burro cranes, and tenders coming up, but I'm going to keep them spaced them out a bit. I also have a very few really cool Western Maryland cars that turned up here in Charlottesville, plus some from West Virginia.

I also have a few interesting Southern MW cars coming your way. Since most of what I saw were PS-1s, I will limit what I show to open cars and a couple of really old boxcars.

In today's lot, bunk car 911106 is another of the ex-Hocking Valley auto cars. I think this one has been more recently resided and has a much different window arrangement than the previous tool cars. Also note that it appears the siding has been replaced along the bottom, possibly from rust between the siding and the side frame. I'm not certain where I found this particular car, possibly at Scottsville on the James River line.

940256 is unlike any other C&O MW car I encountered. It appears to be converted from a 50' auto car. Note the car-end man door, and the Allied Full Cushion trucks, which are not original if I'm right about the car's origin. This car was at Clifton Forge.

Jordan spreader 914057 was found in Charlottesville. I was fortunate to be able to get two views of this machine.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Sterling, Massachusetts

Attachments: