Re: Photo: Loading Raw Silk

spsalso

Reading through the link I posted earlier:

https://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/fasern/seide/seide-htm/#informationen

there is no indication that raw silk is perishable.  Thus there is no consequent need for speed.

The end product of the process we are looking at is to place raw silk in the warehouses of sellers of same.  In my very brief education in silk production, I don't see any indication that silk was shipped with live silk worms included.  Labor costs for converting the live cocoons would almost surely be lower at the point of origin, and shipping would be cheaper and safer for the product.

The point about the insurance is interesting.  I wonder if the railroads self-insured instead.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 07:22 AM, mrvant@... wrote:
I believe one of the reasons for speed was that insurance was paid per day. The trains were sometimes carrying a cargo worth over $1M. A lot of money then. Articles I have read also indicated the cargo was perishable. If they shipped it with live silk worms I could see that. I haven’t been able to track down exactly why raw silk was perishable yet. Raw silk is coated in a gummy substance that has to be removed by boiling in water before the silk is usable.