Re: Photo: Loading Raw Silk

spsalso

Tim,

Yes, it's hard to steal from a fast moving train.  And it's hard to steal from a train moving at "regular" speed.  I'd say the difficulty is about the same.

Now, a STOPPED train is different.  And that concept applies to both fast and slow trains.  And dealing with that problem would be similar for both fast and slow trains.

NEVER put the train in a siding.
NEVER give the train a yellow or red block.
During fueling and engine changes, armed guards with those new-fangled machine guns that every citizen may purchase (fun days, then!)
Be ready for surprise stops caused by bad guys (see new-fangled equipment above)
Maybe a couple other things I didn't think of but a bright rising railroader would.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 09:16 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

It was incredibly valuable cargo. Why are so many non-perishable products (MILLIONS of TONS) now
shipped by air? Because it's so valuable that the higher transportation cost is negligible. It's hard to steal from
a fast moving train (or airplane). :-)

On 6/10/2020 12:08 PM, spsalso via groups.io wrote:
I mentioned a couple of those reasons for speed in my earlier post.

As I envision the hoopla accompanying the silk shipments, I also see another benefit from railroad speed:  self-promotion.

"Sure they're fast.  But we're FASTER!  Just look at the last running time!  We're BETTER than that other line!"

Sometimes it seemed kind of over-the-top.  This could explain why.

Edward Sutorik

Sterling, Massachusetts