were the fuel bunkers converted also?
thanks
mel perry

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020, 1:50 PM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:
Friends,

Attached are four views of former C&O steam locomotive tenders downgraded to MW service, which makes them "sort-of freight" cars.

From the photos Bill McClure shared a few weeks back, I gather that most C&O outfit trains included at least one tender. Possibly the size of the tender varied with the size of the train. They probably carried coal for heating and/or cooking stoves until this was switched to natural gas, and likely also carried water for showers. I'm not sure if the water was fit to drink; MW tank cars for this purpose on some roads were marked "potable water". I see no such markings here.

All four cars were located together in Gordonsville, Virginia, around 1985-1986. There was quite a bit of old MW equipment held here at that time for eventual scrapping.

Enjoy the photos. Comments are always welcome.

Next time, Burro cranes.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Attachments: