Re: C&O MW Tenders

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Mel,

I think the bunkers continued to be used for some years to supply coal for heating and possibly cooking needs to the MW trains, as stated in my original post. Maybe not. Some C&O maven might be able to add more to this.

This raises an interesting question. How were the bunkers refilled after steam was discontinued? A conveyor of some sort, or were at least some coal towers maintained and kept loaded for the MW trains? Hmmm. And how long did coal stoves last in cabooses. Or did the end of steam and a ready coal supply abruptly bring on conversion of camp cars and cabooses to gas or oil heating?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 5:35 PM mel perry <clipper841@...> wrote:
garth:
were the fuel bunkers converted also?
thanks
mel perry

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020, 1:50 PM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:
Friends,

Attached are four views of former C&O steam locomotive tenders downgraded to MW service, which makes them "sort-of freight" cars.

From the photos Bill McClure shared a few weeks back, I gather that most C&O outfit trains included at least one tender. Possibly the size of the tender varied with the size of the train. They probably carried coal for heating and/or cooking stoves until this was switched to natural gas, and likely also carried water for showers. I'm not sure if the water was fit to drink; MW tank cars for this purpose on some roads were marked "potable water". I see no such markings here.

All four cars were located together in Gordonsville, Virginia, around 1985-1986. There was quite a bit of old MW equipment held here at that time for eventual scrapping.

Enjoy the photos. Comments are always welcome.

Next time, Burro cranes.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Attachments: