Re: What methods do you use to add weight to an empty flatcar?

Benjamin Hom

Tony Thompson wrote:
"Lead is significantly denser than brass. Titanium is rather less dense than either. I agree with Ben that lead is an excellent choice, especially in sheet form. You can readily buy this from roofers' supply stores (sometimes plumbers also) even if your local Big Box no longer carries it. And an advantage of lead is that it is so soft, you can readily "forge" pieces to fit where they need to go in an under frame. You barely need a hammer."

To add - I don't like using the traditional kit-provided steel weights for light open cars, especially if you are using under track uncoupling magnets or the Rix uncoupling tool, as the magnets will "grab" the cars.

Ben Hom