Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Box Cars in PRR Duquesne yard 1943

Ray Breyer

It's a rebuild. In the mid-1920s, after USRA control, the NKP began a rebuilding program for a lot of their older boxcars and gondolas. Most got steel center sills, and a few thousand older boxcars got a variety of steel ends (I've counted seven different types). I've seen at least one other photo of one of the ex-Clover Leaf Fowlers with Dreadnaught ends, but they were by no means common.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Friday, June 12, 2020, 05:51:24 PM CDT, David via groups.io <jaydeet2001@...> wrote:

The single-sheathed NKP box in the fourth pic is particularly curious:
ex-Clover Leaf with retrofitted Dreadnaught ends??? I had no idea any
such thing existed.

David Thompson