Re: [PRR] PRR X31A facts you want to know

Larry Smith

I think I can add some information here as I helped write the Walthers book on the automobile industry and the railroads.  At the time these cars were built, the standard ARA car height was 10' and the auto cars at the time could only ship two automobiles, 50' cars three.  Evans developed their auto loader increasing the the number of automobiles that could be shipped.  The problem was that they wouldn't fit in a 10' car.  PRR developed the X31s and X32's with the round roofs to get the extra height for the auto loaders.  A big battle ensured with the other railroads having clearance problems with the cars and PRR embargoing the other railroads from its lines if they wouldn't accept the cars in interchange, it wwas very shortlived and the new AAR standard became 10'6" for boxcars.

Larry Smith

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 11:51:38 AM CDT, Douglas Nelson <doug514@...> wrote:

Eldon:
Was the round roof used to provide extra interior height for automobile loading?  Was there a rack system for over-under loading?

Also, did railroad clearance need to be increased before these cars entered service?

Doug Nelson.