Re: UMM Tools

Craig Zeni

On Jun 15, 2020, at 6:08 AM, main@RealSTMFC.groups.io wrote:

3c.
From: Steve and Barb Hile <shile@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 02:12:34 EDT

Although most seem to currently sold out, I have liked using the micro chisels for removing plastic molded details. Much easier than working with the chisel blade Xacto.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_224 <http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_224&;products_id=8285> &products_id=8285

Steve Hile
I bought one of the UMM saws a few years ago after hearing Greg Martin rave about it. I wasn't disappointed at all. It's an amazing thing and I'm now the guy that raves about them. The UMM saw and some high quality Dumont & FIls tweezers are called out in my resin building presentation and another one that I do that's too modern and not age appropriate here.

The chisel tools that I have converted to, and never looked back, are those from Hasegawa. There's several sizes; the 3mm wide TT-9 "Hasegawa Trytool" is my favorite. The width of the blade makes it harder to accidentally rotate it and create collateral damage. The round TT-5 is my second favorite. The way its tip is cut makes it ideal for going in and nicking off rivets or whatever that are in hard to reach places. I also bought the narrower flat chisel and the 'triangular' chisel - I've not found them to be as useful as the TT-9 and TT-5. MIne came from store.spruebrothers.com ...but it looks like the TT-9 is out of stock right now. With a little practice and care, I've found that I can shave off unwanted details and literally not have to do any clean up with a file or 1000 grit paper. I had to remove the rear overhang from a Highliners F unit shell. In the past I've have used the UMM saw and come back with some 600 and 1000 grit to clean it up. I used the TT-9 and made probably a dozen passes, peeling up a curl of plastic with every pass. It finished clean and needed zero sanding work. The tools are that sharp and good.

At the same web page is the Trumpeter brand of chisels - I tried a couple. Not impressed. At all. Didn't feel sharp, didn't handle well.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC