Drew

Modeling the pre-Depression years.

Sent from TypeApp

On Jun 17, 2020, at 11:47, "mofwcaboose via groups.io" <aol.com@groups.io target=_blank>mofwcaboose=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I lived in Sewell, NJ, on the P-RSL in the 1950s and saw exactly the same thing.; sand in long gondolas. I don't remember any Reading hoppers. Sewell was on the line that passed through Vineland to Millville.

You could always tell if the train had stopped because there would be little piles of sand where it had leaked through any opening in the floor.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonits Springs, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: Drew M. via groups.io <phillydrewcifer@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jun 16, 2020 3:25 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Hauling Sand before Coverd Hoppers Became Popular

The CNJ regularly hauled sand out of the Vineland, NJ and Millville, NJ areas in 52' gondolas. The sand was just piled in the car - CNJ employees would joke that SJ-2 looked like a rolling sandstorm. The RDG had a series of 2 bay offset side hoppers they assigned to the same area to haul sand on the PRSL.

Drew Marshall, Philly, PA