Re: Hauling Sand before Coverd Hoppers Became Popular

Walter Cox

I recall that the Consumers Glass company in Ville St, Pierre, Quebec received sand in early CN covered hoppers in the mid 50's, at least as late as 1957 when I moved out of the area. There was a ball field nearby and when we didn't have enough kids for a game of French scrub we used to hang around watching a CN N-4  2-8-0 switch the plant and run errands to the local hamburger joint for the engine crew. I even got to ride in the fireman's seat on a short hop to drop off some cars at a CP interchange and got to blow the whistle at a level crossing on the way. Rule enforcement wasn't what is is today.
Walt.

In a message dated 6/16/2020 6:33:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, tony@... writes:

Todd Sullivan wrote:

The silica (the technical name for sand) has been shipped by covered hopper since the mid or late 1960s . . .._,_._,_