Re: Photo: Boxed Automobiles On Flatcars

Eric Hansmann

Claus,

I see three different cities on the first three boxes. We have also seen other older images over the years where crates are stenciled with a manufacturer name. Crates labeled Case and Essex come to mind. A 1923 image on the Historic Lackawanna collection also shows tarps stenciled with the Buick name.

If these loads are from the Kenosha area, the Winther Motor Company is another possible manufacturer. This article mentions a 500 auto shipment to Australia in 1917.
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS381

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ralph W. Brown
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 10:31 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Boxed Automobiles On Flatcars

Hi Eric,

Can’t help wondering whether “B&W” has more do with the cargo’s destination than with the manufacturer, especially with “Auckland,” presumably New Zealand.

Just a thought.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:05 AM

While the photo caption notes AMC companies, the boxes are stenciled for B&W. What vehicle company was that? Determining this company should pin point a photo reference year.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 7:08 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Hi Bob and List Members,

I think the date on this has already been called into question by another list member.

I can see that the build date on the nearest flat is 4-99, which I take to be April 1899. It is a 35 ton car.

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 3:38 PM

Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Boxed Automobiles On Flatcars

Photo: Boxed Automobiles On Flatcars

A circa early 1950s photo from the University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries:

https://search.library.wisc.edu/digital/A7KI7ODJT7DHJ68R

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

Description: "Boxcars loaded with Nash or AMC cars to be shipped by railroad, ending up in Australia and New Zealand. Each boxcar is stamped with its destination. In 1954, Nash-Kelvinator Corporation joined with Hudson Motor Car Company to create the American Motors Corporation."

Of course, these are flatcars.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.