From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of A&Y Dave in MD <dbott@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2020 3:38 PM
To: mofwcaboose via groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] C&O Burro Crane Photos

When were burro cranes or their like first introduced?

Dave Bott

Friday, June 19, 2020, 11:04:26 AM, you wrote:

Locomotive cranes  were found on the C&O, though apparently not in the numbers seen on some other railroads. In contrast to the meticulous  listing of C&O's wreckers, data on smaller cranes is very scattered and hard to find.

I personally only photographed one  crane; RC-24, an Industrial Works/Industrial Brownhoist Model N of at least 60 tons capacity used for bridge work.

Burro cranes are a special case. They are usually numbered in with the track machines (such as tampers, spike drivers, etc.), and the numbers  tend to be scattered all over. Lifting capacities are tied to the  model number, which can be found cast into the rear of the cab, under the trade name "Burro". For example. a Model 30 is good for 7½ tons.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL