Re: What methods do you use to add weight to an empty flatcar?

Dave Parker

I am not an expert in lead toxicology, but I used to work with people who are.  If you are using lead flashing (or shot) to weight freight cars, the needed safety precautions are minimal:

-  keep your hands out of your mouth
-  wash them when done (or wear disposable gloves)
-  don't sand it so as to create dust

Acute toxicity, and dermal exposure, are primarily a  concern with organo-lead compounds (like tetraethyl-lead in gasoline).

The long-term chronic effects of inorganic lead ingestion are much more significant in young children who are still developing cognitively.  Most of us here are well past that part of the brain development curve.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA