how do you paint trucks of early freight cars?

Ray Hutchison

We know that different roads painted the car trucks in different ways, but I am wondering how we know what those colors are / should be?  In some instances the information is pretty stable (Great Northern had trucks painted same color as the cars) and in some instances you can tell from photographs (the Fowler Son & Co. reefer below was part of discussion a couple of weeks ago, the wheels were painted same color as the body).  Is there any listing of this information that I could be looking at?  I am specifically looking for information about trucks for the 36' Yakima Valley Apple truss rod reefers, which were part of the Northern Refrigerator Car Co.