Re: how do you paint trucks of early freight cars?

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 10:35 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
The George Fowler Son reefer appears to have paper wheels. Yes?
I don't think so. While I see some strange stripes on the wheel plates, I think they are oil drips, one reason why nobody bothered to paint wheels fancy colors, at least not after the first time :-) Meanwhile, when enlarged the wheel plate seems to have a dished shape, and what appears to be foundry lettering cast in. Paper wheels had a flat steel plate to contain the paper filler, and a pattern of bolts to hold the front and back plates together; also bolts to attach to the tire. Got to be careful when trying to identify a paper wheel, however, as there were also flat plate wheels with cast iron fillers that looked almost the same.

Dennis Storzek