Re: ATSF 5714 Fx 8 color photo

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer wrote:

I model Fall 1953. The question would be how did the ATSF car get to Iowa to be commandeered for grain hauling, or put another way, what’s the likelihood of the car being in Iowa.

         Don't forget what we learned from Gilbert-Nelson. Cars show up around the country (on major railroads, and on main lines) according to their proportion of the national car fleet, if they are free-running cars like general-purpose box cars and gondolas. Santa Fe had one of the biggest car fleets in the country, so it would be more surprising for a Santa Fe car to be ABSENT in Iowa, than for it to be present.

Tony Thompson