Re: Help Needed for MoPac Box Car Model

O Fenton Wells

John, I'm a member of "End Doors for Veterans"  If you need one I will mail it to you.  I've got one of those to do as well.  Keep posting photos please
Fenton Wells

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 6:16 PM golden1014 via groups.io <golden1014=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Gents,

I am rebuilding the Roundhouse/MDC/Athearn 50-foot, single-sheathed auto car to model a MoPac prototype.

The major features of the model are single-sheathed sides, 3-3-3 inverse dreadnaught ends, fishbelly centersill underframe, steel doors, radial roof.  No end door (key point).

I have the Speedwitch decal set for the model.  The Speedwitch decal instructions indicate the first 50 cars in the series 89000-89049 had inverse dreadnaught ends, no end doors.  However, photos show cars in the 89000-89049 series with end doors.  A photo of 89169, the last car, also shows end doors.  Therefore the decal set is incorrect for use for my model, since the model does not have end doors.

I don't know if Roundhouse/MDC/Athearn made a similar model with an end door.  I could be wrong but I don't think they did.  They certainly made a similar car with end doors, but I don't think they offered this body style, which is almost perfect for MoPac, with end doors.

Here's the question: Is there a prototype for the model referenced, without an end door?  According to Focus on Freight Cars #1, MP had 1,000 of such cars, most without end doors.  Does anyone have a photo from the other series without an end door?

Attached are a few photos.  Note the model has no end door, but the proto-photo does.

Thanks in advance for your help!

John Golden
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany

--