Re: ATSF 5714 Fx 8 color photo

Nelson Moyer

Interesting antidote, Dick, but I don’t model the M&StL. The Q was primarily an East-West road with terminuses in Denver and Kansas City for Everywhere West. Chicago to Kansas City and interchange with the ATSF would be the most direct and likely route to the Southwest. That bypasses Burlington, as routing would go through Galesburg and Quincy. The Burlington Route’s route between St. Louis and Minneapolis-St. Paul only extended from St. Louis to Burlington, and then by trackage rights on the CRI&P the rest of the way, but only for the Zephyr Rocket, which was a joint venture. Freight didn’t run North of Burlington except between Burlington and Mediapolis and then Northwest on the Burlington-Washington branch. The Q had trackage rights on the RI between Burlington and Mediapolis. North-South freight traffic on the Q was limited to Burlington-Hannibal-Quincy-St. Louis. The only ATSF interchange in Iowa was Ft. Madison. After finding Richard Hindrickson’s table of ATSF cars in 1950, it’s pretty clear that at least ten classes or groups of classes have a much higher probability of showing up in Burlington, so I’ve decided not to get the RCW Fe class kit. Restraint is an essential requirement of prototype modeling.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of np328
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 12:24 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ATSF 5714 Fx 8 color photo

Unless somebody can provide justification as to why this car would pass through Burlington, either between Chicago and Omaha or between St. Louis and Minneapolis, I can’t justify adding it to my roster. Please, someone give me a reason to buy this car.

Nelson,
    if you are looking for a good reason for the ATSF car here is one, and I have written parts of this prior on the M&StL list:
   My father was the traffic manager for his Minneapolis based company that manufactured mostly engine rebuilding machines and other metal working machines. Machines that the southwest part of our country used. That part of the US relied on these heavily as cars tended to last longer down there minus snow and salt used on the highways to treat them up here. They also had some rather heavy machines also for (semi) diesel engine rebuilding.

    On family outings we would stop so my dad (where my brother and I got the railfan bug from) would stop from time to time at M&StL depots so he could get some photos. Of course we asked - why?

And what he said is the justification you might be looking for.  From his company, once loaded on a boxcar and the load was headed to the southwest US, the M&StL would take it down to the AT&SF in Iowa, and from there it would go to the Arizona, California area he thought, rather fast.  After shipping the items, invariably the salesman would ask two or three days later "where is it" and my dad would call the Santa Fe and get a report telling the salesman, it is almost there,  tomorrow it should be there. My father was truly impressed by how these two railroads could move a shipment from the Twin Cities to the southwest.  From time to time he my father would throw business to other lines and occasionally trucking companies when shipments were headed down there however was never as impressed.

    When these rebuilding machines would need to be rebuilt, the routing was the same, except in reverse. When they needed materials from the southwest in large enough quantities to make rail the preferred option, he specified Santa Fe. My father had a coffee mug from the Santa Fe in his office I recall. One of several items railroad associated.

 And through his organizations of traffic managers he recalled others also spoke highly of the M&StL/AT&SF service to the southwest.
Tim O' stated All the salesman need do is take the traffic manager out for a nice dinner on the town :-D

According to my father - well, a two edged sword.
He after coming home from a dinner with a salesman, he would complain to my mom, Same as always, they feed you, then do their best to get you drunk and then shove a contract in front of you to sign.  My father thought there were easier ways to get a good meal.                  Jim Dick -St. Paul, MN