Re: Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Frank Pearsall

Bob:

I have some updated information on Blue Line, Cliff Line and Don Fowler if you’re interested. Reply off list. Thank you.

Frank Pearsall
Brevard, N.C.

On Jun 25, 2020, at 7:29 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

1950s Southern California Model RR Manufacturers
I've had discussions with several people who are/were model railroad manufacturers and asked them about their fellow model railroad manufacturers who were in Southern California in the 1950s. This was golden age locally with many firms located in the area.
I learned in those days long past the manufacturers were somewhat of a fraternity who frequently met socially (usually monthly) to discuss the hobby and product plans.
Sometimes they traded product lines that were either in development or on the market.
I started to compile a list of Southern California manufacturers from the decade of the 1950s. The current list is below. It is based on advertisements placed in Model Railroader in the 1950 through 1959 January issues plus interviews with folks who were still alive to confirm details.
One point I will mention is how to pronounce the name "Suydam". I learned from the son of one of the company founders that it is pronounced "So Damn", as in "It is so damn hot outside".
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
++++
1950s Southern California Model RR Manufacturers

Company

Primary Products

City

Original Owner(s)

Subsequent Owner(s)

A.C.I.

Locomotive

Long Beach

Ace Products

Roadbed

Pasadena

Art Fleming Models

Grab Irons, Car Kits

Studio City

Athearn

O & HO Models

Los Angeles

Irvin R. Athearn

Ayres Models

Structures

Garden Grove

Thomas Ayres

Baumgarten

Track Cleaner

Santa Barbara

Beemax Plastics

Structures

Los Angeles

Bert Welch Co.

Trees & Bushes

Los Angeles

Bill Johnson Model Trains

O Scale Passenger Cars

Long Beach

Binkley Models

HO, HOn3 Kits

Inglewood

Blue Line Products

Passenger Cars

Spring Valley

Bowser

Steam Loco & Parts

Redlands

Lewis English (1961)

Boxcar Ken

Rail

Los Angeles

Budd Model Co.

Steam Loco Parts

Sherman Oaks

C. J. Ulrich

Track Cleaner, Signals

North Hollywood

Charles J. Ulrich

Central Valley

Trucks, Car Kits

North Hollywood

George Hook

Jack Parker, Jeff Parker

Champion Model Co.

Decals

North Hollywood

Cliff Line

Caboose Kit

North Hollywood

Devore

O & HO Couplers

South Pasadena

Don Fowler Co.

Semaphore, Crossing Gate, Wig-Wag

Los Angeles

E. Suydam & Co.

Structures

Pasadena, Duarte

Edward C. Suydam, Douglas R. Suydam

Electronic Sales Co.

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Los Angeles

G. L. Electronics

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Los Angeles

Globe

Hi-Ballers Corp.

Link & Pin Couplers, Car Kits

Burbank

Joseph B. Maier

Live Steam Loco Plans

Pacoima

Kadee

Couplers

Reseda

Dale Edwards

Kurtz-Kraft Models Co.

Signals,Switch Machines, Car Kits, Parts

Long Beach, Tarzana

Albert Kurtz, Jr.

KWR, Inc.

Locomotives

Los Angeles

Lindsay Products, Inc.

Locomotives, Motors, Spiker

Culver City

Robert Lindsay

Little Engines

Live Steam Loco & Parts

Lomita

Mod-Ac Mfg. Co.

Hansom Cab

Los Angeles

Model Builder's Supply Co.

Hot Metal Car, Water Tank

Duarte

Model Die Casting

Couplers, Handcars, Paint

Los Angeles

Clarence Mentier

Model Engineering Works

O & HO Parts, Kits

Monrovia

Richard Wheeler

Model Toy Mfg. Co.

Structures

Burbank

Modelcraft Printing Services

Doors, Windows

Pasadena

Models & Miniatures Specialties

Scenery Supplies

San Dimas

Modelton

Structures, Billboard Posters

Burbank

Moyes J. Murphy

Power Supplies

Arcadia

Olson-Spencer

Builders Plates

Los Angeles

Pacific Design & Development Co.

Motors

El Segundo

Pactra Chemical Co.

Paint

Los Angeles

Revell

Train Sets

Hollywood

Lewis H. Glaser

Robico

O & HO Locomotive, Cars

Universal City

Rollins House Miniatures

Detail Parts

Covina, Cucamonga

Silver Streak Corp.

Car Kits

Los Angeles

Standard Wire & Cable

Power Supplies, Motors, Controls

Culver City

Stewart-Lundahl Co.

Paint (310M)

North Hollywood

Ulrich?

Town-Craft Models

O & HO Structures

Hermosa Beach

Tru-Scale

Track & Roadbed

San Dimas

August A. Kniff

Cliff Meistel

W. H. Olson

Builders Plates

Los Angeles

Wesley Mfg. Co.

Cannonball Products, Ore Cars

Van Nuys

Western Narrow Gauge Model Shop

Track Gauge

Inglewood

Zenith Model Co.

Power Supplies

Los Angeles

Clover Custom Decals

Decals

Santa Monica

Silver Streak (Truce Scale))

Car Kits

San Dimas

K & O Models

Locomotive, Power Pack

Van Nuys

G. F. Harbin

Reostat

San Dimas

Gaylord Products

Power Supplies, Controls

Van Nuys

Wright Enterprises/MHP

Thousand Oaks

Dick Wright

1950 Champ decals in North Hollywood, 1951 Champion Decal Co. in Fresno, 1959 in San Jose
1950 Kurtz-Kraft in Burlingame, 1953 in Long Beach, 1955 in Oroville
Olson-Spencer probably same as W. H. Olson
1958 Weston Mini-Figure Co. in Healdsburg
1959 Clover Decals in  Santa Rosa
1959 Cal-Scale in Pinedale