Re: Car weighting

Roger Huber <trainpainter@...>

Bud,

I modeled in S scale for several years using AM, SHS, PRS, AF conversions and other cars with stock trucks and KD 5 couplers. I hand laid all my track and turnouts with codes 100, 83, 70 and some 55 rail. I never added any weight above stock and had no issues with derailing whether pushing or pulling the cars.

I've gone back to HO and use stock weights in all my cars. They mostly have stock trucks with KD wheelsets or KD trucks. I have a few with IM wheelsets. My track is all Walthers c83 and I use #4 & #5 turnouts and #7.5 curved ones. I have no issues with derailing. I have one long 3.2% grade.

I personally find the Enemaray weight standards too heavy and not necessary.

Just my 2¢.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Friday, June 26, 2020, 03:37:30 PM CDT, Bud Rindfleisch <blackdiamondrr@...> wrote:

Howdy friends,
    Just curious on your opinions on weighting freight cars to NMRA specs. As an S scaler I've always subscribed to the recommended 6 oz's but our Groups io, has been having on going discussion about not weighting the freight cars and tracking ability on scale flanges and mostly code 100 track. Some say they do not add  weight to plastic or resin cars but use metal trucks and metal wheels. I do that anyway but I prefer them slightly heavier than a plastic or resin kit without weight.
So what do you all in the HO and N world do, weight or no weight?
     Bud Rindfleisch