Re: Car weighting

Douglas Harding

I follow the NMRA recommendations. Mostly for consistency. Most new freight cars I purchase are delivered close to NMRA standards and come with quality trucks and wheelsets. I use IM wheelsets almost exclusively and have found with my new standards using IM wheelsets, Accurail trucks (when others don’t roll well) and Kadee couplers, I can use lighter cars. And I have some, typically flatcars where it is hard to add weight. But I prefer the NMRA recommendations. If for no other reason the engines have to actually work pulling the train.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bud Rindfleisch
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 3:37 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Car weighting

Howdy friends,
    Just curious on your opinions on weighting freight cars to NMRA specs. As an S scaler I've always subscribed to the recommended 6 oz's but our Groups io, has been having on going discussion about not weighting the freight cars and tracking ability on scale flanges and mostly code 100 track. Some say they do not add  weight to plastic or resin cars but use metal trucks and metal wheels. I do that anyway but I prefer them slightly heavier than a plastic or resin kit without weight. 
So what do you all in the HO and N world do, weight or no weight?
     Bud Rindfleisch

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.