Re: CONOCO Proto 2000 8K Gallon Type 21 Riveted Tank Car Questions

mopacfirst

Going by my own knowledge of the subject, there were two primary producers of tetraethyl lead.  One was Ethyl Corporation and the other was DuPont.  Both used their own dedicated tank cars.

I don't know if increased demand would have ever compelled either to use a general service 6000 gallon tank car, but I would say that was extremely unlikely since as you say, that would have rendered the car unsuitable for other loads.  Bear in mind that refiners and processors of liquid hydrocarbons have always had the ability to maintain a great deal of inventory, including work in process, so they've generally planned for and been able to manage the seasonal swings in demand, at least during the period of this list.

Ron Merrick