Re: CONOCO Proto 2000 8K Gallon Type 21 Riveted Tank Car Questions

Bill Decker

Andy,

Not wanting to get into a flame war here, especially with oil refinery products about, but your statement: "Rio Grande, while being owned by Richfield Oil, was the recipient of the only US 48 states enemy attack during WWll. That attack was just north of the current University Of California Santa Barbara at an area on the coast called Ellwood Beach. " is incorrect as to "only US 48 states enemy attack during WWII.  We had a discussion on this point quite recently on line.  Up here in Oregon, we know well of the shelling at Fort Stevens on the south side of the mouth of the Columbia--and served off the A-Line of the (by then) SP&S.  That recent discussion also highlighted the flambé le balloon attacks which netted fatalities in southern oregon later in the war (though not close to a rail line).  If you are trying to limit the attack issue to a refinery area, yes, perhaps, but certainly not the only attack on the Pacific Coast.

Bill Decker
McMinnville, Oregon