From: Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41@...>
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Jul 1, 2020 11:53 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: PRR Flatcar 47068 With Grader Load

Nice photo. Good find!

One of the loads into Burlington on my Gridley Branch could be some type of construction or road grading equipment. Considering the time period of 1952-53 a grader would be a good selection for surfacing all of those gravel county roads in east central Kansas.

The question to the group is … does someone have recommendations for post-war to mid-‘50s construction equipment models?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jul 1, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: PRR Flatcar 47068 With Grader Load
A 1948 photo from the Newberry Library:
This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.
It's my understanding, based on comments by a professional railroader who was a load inspector, that the blades of earth moving equipment normally were blocked, separating the blade from the car deck. Apparently not so in this photo.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA