Re: Photo: Flat Car Load - Identity Of Items

Nelson Moyer

I missed the photo under discussion, but the mod to the USRA GS-15 class was to remove 18 in. from the bottom of the sides on the first few cars, then 15 in. on the rest of those modified. The result was that the V at the bottom side sill was no longer a V, having been truncated. The Walthers model is a pretty good version of the original GS-15, but it would have to be modified for my era, and I haven’t wanted to take a razor saw to it just yet.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2020 2:29 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Flat Car Load - Identity Of Items

Rob-

I don’t think this is a rebuilding any of a CB&Q USRA GS gondola.

While it is true that their own 40’ composite gondolas were similar and may have been inspired by some of the features of the USRA cars, I do not believe that they were to resemble the Q design cars.

The car in question looks like a GS -8 class car which is having the very lower part of the diagonals replaced where they connect to the vertical members (probably due to having rusted out).   The USRA have verticals extend a small amount beyond the side sill and both verticals and diagonals are directly attached to the frame.   Also note the characteristic GS-8 pulling loop plate in front of the nearest vertical.

Charlie Vlk