Re: Trucks?

Dennis Storzek

Not Vulcan, rather some sort of Andrews patent truck. Vulcan trucks had the end of the sideframe encircle the journal box, which fit in the resulting slot, and retained by a horizontal bolt through a lug on the sideframe directly behind the journal lid hinge. I'm not seeing this lug, nor does the sideframe extend far enough to encircle the outer side of the journal box. Meanwhile, although the poor quality of the photo makes it hard to see, I think I'm seeing vertical bolts alongside the journal boxes. Those are the spotting feature of the Andrews design. Andrews trucks don't have to have the horizontal strap to the bottom of the journal; some had the strap drop at a 45 deg. angle from a bracket cast on the sideframe, as here.

Dennis Storzek