Re: Apparently, Boston & Maine boxcars made it to Florida

Allan Smith

I have Conductors lists from 1954 on the Sierra and a B&M 74195 came unto the Sierra at Oakdale Ca. 5-28-54 from the SP out of Stockton Ca Empty. So I don't know what load brought it to the SP.  The Sierra sent the car back to the SP on 6-2-54 loaded with lumber for Armory Mass. B&M 74195 series 74000-74499 PS-1 9-47 lot 5877 7' 7P Sup1 door. So you can see that these cars went everywhere and you could add one to your RR.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 10:22:57 AM PDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

R J Dial wrote:

I've seen pics of BAR and B&M boxcars in LA and Seattle. Stuck in my mind as always wondered what would be shipped from corner to corner of the US like that. They may have been WWII photos, but can't recall for sure.

     You're assuming they were loaded by the home road and sent to the West Coast. More likely they were loaded SOMEWHERE in the U.S. and sent there. For example, the car in Seattle might have come from LA or Houston. Car Service Rules would not encourage westward movements of those cars, of course, but after WW II, the AAR surveys found that only about 2/3 of car movements were in accord with those Rules, so there is a lot of scope for "exceptions," though they really are not even exceptions.

Tony Thompson