Re: Apparently, Boston & Maine boxcars made it to Florida

Tim O'Connor

Also, during the frequent "car shortages" experienced by postwar railroads, I think it's a very good bet
that if a car was suitable, and was needed for an online customer, then the reporting marks were of no
consequence whatever.

The GN would HOARD it own box cars prior to the grain harvest, and spot them everywhere online
near grain elevators. And since GN was always griping about the online/offline imbalance of cars due to
slow returns, I think it's a safe bet the GN assigned other railroads' cars without regard to the "rules"
(which were really just guidelines anyway) -- at least before the grain harvest.

On 7/8/2020 1:22 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
R J Dial wrote:

I've seen pics of BAR and B&M boxcars in LA and Seattle. Stuck in my mind as always wondered what would be shipped from corner to corner of the US like that. They may have been WWII photos, but can't recall for sure.

     You're assuming they were loaded by the home road and sent to the West Coast. More likely they were loaded SOMEWHERE in the U.S. and sent there. For example, the car in Seattle might have come from LA or Houston. Car Service Rules would not encourage westward movements of those cars, of course, but after WW II, the AAR surveys found that only about 2/3 of car movements were in accord with those Rules, so there is a lot of scope for "exceptions," though they really are not even exceptions.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts