Cranberries: was Boston & Maine boxcars...Florida

Craig Wilson

While I was still driving intermodal containers I made numerous trips to Graceland Fruit in Frankfort Michigan.  Loads were cans of "dried sliced cranberries" being shipped to China (trucked to Elwood Illinois then BNSF to Long Beach CA for export).  Not too many cranberry bogs around Frankfort so I once asked where the cranberries came from.  All trucked in from Wisconsin, I was told.

The plant had been Pet Foods previously and regularly switched by the Ann Arbor Railroad well back into the steam era.  Photo (Neil Plagens) attached shows former AA GP35 392 (then Tuscola & Saginaw Bay) switching a PFE reefer there in 1984 shortly before the line was abandoned.  The facility looks practically the same to this day and stepping inside is like making a trip decades back in time.

Craig Wilson