Re: Coupler Mounting Screws

Daniel A. Mitchell

The Allen “button-head” is typically similar to a Pan-head, but maybe just a tad thinner. One nice thing about them is that they are almost always blackened. They’re also a higher strength screw, but I can’t imagine that being a major factor in model railroading.

The one downside is that they are steel, and thus magnetic. This can cause problems with Kadee-type couplers. An alternative is to get Stainless-steel Allen heads screws ... these are minimally magnetic and have the same profile … they do need to be painted however.

Dan Mitchell

On Jul 11, 2020, at 12:42 PM, Bud Rindfleisch <BlackDiamondRR@...> wrote:

I've found "button head" screws from Micro Fasteners to be very low profile.I bought them in 2-56 and 0-80. They use a small allen wrench of which the size escapes me right now. I like the way they look compared to a phillips cross slot when underbody detailing is important.
     The attached pic is on my S scale scratchbuilt underframe for an LV caboose I'm converting to scale from Am Flyer. I use the 0-80 with the Kadee 802 couplers.
      Bud Rindfleisch
<LV AM Flyer caboose project 7-5-15 002.jpg>