Re: Non-standard height 1923 ARA Steel boxcars

Eric Lombard

Hi, Everyone....
Don Burn asked : "...were there any other 1923 ARA Steel boxcars with heights different from 8' 7"?"
It appears that 10 of the HPT&D cars were sold to West India Fruit and Steam Ship Co. in 1948 as WIF 101-110. I have not discovered any primary documentation for this transaction. However, comparative ORER counts, ORER dimensions, and photos provide a strong case for this. The HPT&D cars were built with a unique SSC design door that also appears on the WIF cars, for example. Here is a photo for comparison of WIF 106, which if actually taken in Vancouver, BC, is a very, very long way from Havana. The WIF&SS Co. went under in August of 1961, a victim of the Cuban revolution. Disposition of their several series of box cars is unknown to me.

Happy Rails to you....
Eric L
Homewood, IL

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 9:55 AM Don Burn <burn@...> wrote:
I was wondering besides the 5000 PRR X28, the 2000 B&O M-27 and M-27A, and the 25 High Point, Thomasville & Denton cars, were there any other 1923 ARA Steel boxcars with heights different from 8' 7"?

Don Burn