Re: coil gondola shipping early problems

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Mont;

For sure, scrap now!

This appears to be the result of a wreck, or very hard coupling, which P&WV undoubtedly had to document for claims.

But what I find unusual is the way they were loaded, like with no understanding on how they’d behave.  Sheesh.

I am assembling a presentation on RR coil loading experiences, and how the RRs evolved their practices over time, resulting in dedicated coil cars, so I am looking to these early instances for the “why”.

Coils misbehaving was a problem that increased with increasing size, weight, and finish quality requirements.

This tipping over behavior was something I am astonished to see wasn’t anticipated.

I’d love to see someone model that load!

Elden Gatwood