Re: coil gondola shipping early problems

Mont Switzer

Elden,

I would suspect in that era the original coils were shipped on end in closed (boxcars) cars with lots of blocking and bracing.    Enclosed cars helps prevent rust, dirt, etc. for the same reasons most coil cars of today are covered.

I would say several of those boxcars got dumped somewhere thus damaging all of the coils inside.  Since they had become scrap due to the alleged accident the wrecker wasn’t too particular as to how they were placed in the gons.

Please keep in mind this is a theory.  Too bad we cannot see the claim file.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.