Re: Heinz plant locations

Craig Wilson

Heinz (now Heinz North America) still has a facility located along W. 16th Street in Holland Michigan.  See the attached Google Earth image.  There are still large vinegar vats that are visible in the upper left in the image (sitting in line next to them while waiting to load there can be no doubt what they are).  No rails into the plant any more but the roadbed (Pere Marquette/C&O) can be seen curving in from the northeast in the upper right corner of the image.

Last time I was there the plant was shipping out small condiment ("relish") packets in semi-trucks and marine containers - which traveled by RAIL from Chicago.  Everyone I dealt with there seemed to have an unpleasant attitude - which might be a consequence of having to work every day in a place with a strong odor of vinegar!

Craig Wilson