Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] OK so this didn't work out so well

Steve and Barb Hile

FWIW the Southern flat car has number 115232 not 15232.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 1:16 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] OK so this didn't work out so well

It’s a great photo of a multi-car steel load. We have seen this before, just from the other end of the load. Remember this photo? I think Bob C posted it the other day.

https://digital.library.pitt.edu/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.1235.RR

What’s cool about both images is the info written in the lower part of the images. We find details on the shipper, receiver, and all three freight cars. This is from the Homestead Steel Company and going to the McClintic Marshall Construction Company. The load occupies PMcK&Y 40205 (a composite mill gon), P&R 9810, and Southern 15232. The load is 91-ft long steel plate, 18-inches wide. This photo was taken January 24, 1913, by P. E. Berlin.

I entered Rankin Yard in the search box and found a couple other images taken on the same day at the McClintic Marshall yard. There were some issues with these long loads. This image offers a decent look at another PMcK&Y mill gon, 40106.

https://digital.library.pitt.edu/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.1233A.RR

And another image.

https://digital.library.pitt.edu/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.1234.RR

Note that this load was 60-ft long and 4-ft, 2-inches wide, a width that did not work with these gondolas on a sharp curve.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN