Re: A better pin vise

Nelson Moyer

I picked up a Tamiya pin vise at Trainfest last year after the chuck on my old collar type pin vise quit holding #80 bit securely. I’ve used the Tamiya for #78-80 bits and the old one for larger bits. The Tamiya has a screw type chuck and comfortable feel. I also picked up a cheap collar type pin vise, but the design places the collar too close to the end of the chuck, and it’s impossible to see the tip of the bit to place it accurately – another example of cheap, poorly designed Chinese junk. Prior to Trainfest, I ordered a Swiss made collar type pin vise from Erlinger, but the chuck jaws were unevenly milled and would not hold the bit straight. I talked to the company and they checked the remaining inventory and reported that all their remaining stock was defective, so I returned it for a refund. Expect to pay at least $25 for a quality pin vise for reliable results with #80 bits. If it’s cheaper, you probably won’t like it.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Thomas Evans via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 11:50 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] A better pin vise

I'm having trouble finding a pin vise that holds smaller (#80 and the higher 70's) drill bit securely.
I've tried & thrown out a few, and always go back to my ancient General swivel-headed one (similar to but better than the current #92).
It works (although hardly on the #80s), but requires me to use 2 pairs of pliers to get it tight enough to hold these small bits.
That's a pain!
Anyone found a better kind?
I've considered Starrett, but they're pretty expensive, and I'd prefer the kind with a swivel knob on the top like I'm used to.

Thanks - Tom E.