Re: Steam Era Spray trains

I've been somewhat casually fascinated with weed spraying equipment for the last several years, as I have a couple photos showing part of a weed spraying train on the railroad I model (B&O Georgetown Branch, ca 1945-55) and have wanted to model it ever since. It's a back-burner project, but I've uncovered some interesting things along the way. R.H. Bogle was a company based in Alexandria, VA that operated for many years providing contracted services to various railroads of the region and beyond. Essentially they provided the specialized equipment and chemicals and the railroad provided the power. Photos of their equipment on various lines around the country can be found online in the usual places. They continued on into the 80s and 90s (I believe). Eventually renown for pension fraud, unfortunately. They developed their own chemicals too. Look up "Bo-Rid."

THE EVOLUTION OF RAILROAD WEED SPRAY EQUIP, Ralph H. Bogle, Jr.
CHALLENGES OF RAILROAD CONTROL ARE LONG DAYS AND CONSTANT CARE (ca 1979)
https://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/wetrt/article/1979sep89.pdf

Someone chased the Bogle weed spraying train(s?) on the W&OD in the late 1950s (I think). Photos pop up frequently on FB and elsewhere:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/81/9e/1c/819e1c143dbc319dfb1534ba368b96d2.jpg
http://www.geocities.ws/purcellvillehistory/railroadstation.htm

RHBX 301 Louisville, KY 1950
RHBX 301 Weed Control Car Etowah, TN in July 1978
RHBX 305 on the EL at Voris Street in Akron, Ohio in early 1972
More RHBX equipment: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList.aspx?id=RHBX

NALX 110 C&EI, Glover, Illinois, 1959 J. Parker Lamb
https://live.staticflickr.com/1603/24681665921_e7327da954_k.jpg%EF%BB%BF

NALX 118
https://archives.nauer.org/BRHSLIST/2014-01/msg00110.html

At the 5:16 mark in this video you can see one in action at Griffith Crossing near Chicago.
https://youtu.be/cYTp3dLADyQ?t=316

The GNHS produced two related resin kits at their 2008 and 2009 conventions. You can see info here: https://www.gnrhs.org/sold_out_kits.htm

Here is a link to an assembly DIY of the GN Historic Society X-1853 weed sprayer resin kit, with some add'l info https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/37917

A post here about NALCO weed sprayer & cars https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/topic/52157574

I know that some of the material herein is not within the "steam era," however much of the specialized equipment was used for many years afterwards making it somewhat appropriate. Hoping this gives a bit more insight. I have wondered if there were any comprehensive books or articles written over the years on weed spraying trains, as I find it to be a really interesting aspect of the industry.

--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD