inside running rail of the curve will be accompanied by an addition guard rail

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Sometimes when I am looking at images of steam era freight cars on sharp curves, I will see that the inside running rail of the curve will be accompanied by an addition guard rail.

One example can be seen in the image linked below, both track sections have the guard rail applied against the inside running rail of the curve...

Anoth example can be seen at the link below...

Can anyone tell me why this is done? I'm going to guess it helps keep the cars on the rails while traversing the curve, but right off the bat, I don't see how that would work.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Claus Schlund