Re: inside running rail of the curve will be accompanied by an addition guard rail

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Thanks Ron and James, now I understand!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] inside running rail of the curve will be accompanied by an addition guard rail

A railroad wheel is solid, but with a slight slope so that the outside of the wheel is smaller in circumference than the inside by the flange. A tight corner like this pulls the wheel to the outside of the curve and could cause the outside wheel flange to climb the rail. The guard rail on the inside rail of the curve keeps the wheel from going too far out and derailing.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 8:29 PM
To: STMFC <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] inside running rail of the curve will be accompanied by an addition guard rail

Hi List Members,

Sometimes when I am looking at images of steam era freight cars on sharp curves, I will see that the inside running rail of the curve will be accompanied by an addition guard rail.

One example can be seen in the image linked below, both track sections have the guard rail applied against the inside running rail of the curve...

Another example can be seen at the link below...

Can anyone tell me why this is done? I'm going to guess it helps keep the cars on the rails while traversing the curve, but right off the bat, I don't see how that would work.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Claus Schlund

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.