Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] inside running rail of the curve will be accompanied by an addition guard rail

A railroad wheel is solid, but with a slight slope so that the outside of the wheel is smaller in circumference than the inside by the flange. A tight corner like this pulls the wheel to the outside of the curve and could cause the outside wheel flange to climb the rail. The guard rail on the inside rail of the curve keeps the wheel from going too far out and derailing.

J. Stephen Sandifer